In 2014 Albertsons offered $7.6 billion for Safeway’s 1,300 supermarkets, including 106 in Texas with Safeway sales plans in place thru May 2015. The Albertson’s and Safeway merger will create the second-largest U.S. traditional supermarket chain behind Kroger after the merger is finalized next month.
The new Albertson’s and Safeway company will realign their national footprint by operating under 3 regions, (North, South, and East) supported by 14 retail divisions. Each division team will maintain its own focus, buying responsibility, and product assortment under the new de-centralized corporate strategy.
The Texas market falls under the South Region divided into 3 retail divisions, (United- 63 stores, Southern – 120 stores, and Houston- 66 stores.)
- HQ Office in Lubbock, TX with Robert Taylor serving as division President.
- United Supermarkets is run by the Albertsons chain and operates as a division of Albertsons under the United Family of stores, Amigos, Market Street and United Supermarkets. These stores are located in the North Texas, West Texas and the Texas Panhandle areas including: Lubbock ( 18 stores), Amarillo ( 13 stores), Wichita Falls (8 stores), Abilene (5 stores), and Dallas (7 stores).
- Market Street features take-home cuisine, restaurants, gourmet, and everyday grocery items in one store. Amigos United, an international-format store offers a blend of American fare and international cuisine
- HQ Office in Dallas, TX with Shane Dorcheus serving as President.
- In North Texas, Albertsons is planning to continue to operate under both banners – Albertson’s and Tom Thumb.
- Albertson-FW is to maintain supply chain relationship with AWG-FW for the next 9 to 12 months.
- Albertson’s and Tom Thumb recently sold 12 Texas stores to Minyard Food Stores that will convert to Minyard Fresh Market in February 2015.
- HQ Office in Houston, TX with Sidney Hopper serving as division President.
- Tom Thumb is expected to make the transition to local buying management in May 2015 and will continue to use the Tom Thumb warehouse.
- In Houston, Safeway operates the Randall’s stores, and none of those are being sold. Randall’s is expected to make transition to local management and buying in May 2015 and will continue to use Randall’s warehouse.
Coincidently, STAR Brokerage Sales & Marketing operates full-service CPG sales, marketing, retail offices in these three Texas cities since 1991. Our team is prepared to directly call on the Albertson’s/Safeway buying office of each division as well as provide full-time retail services to the stores in these markets.
STAR Brokerage is the largest independently owned CPG sales and marketing solution in Texas. We offer a “go-to-market” solution enabling CPG manufacturers and suppliers to leverage power and collaboration ensuring they 1) hit sales targets, 2) gain new distribution, 3) service customers, 4) and WIN the battle at the shelf.
Our team includes 60 full-time professionals who are experts in the market and maintain established, long-standing relationships with the new and existing retail and wholesale customers across the Texas market including:
C&S Independent Customers (Fiesta Mart, Seller Brothers, Food Town, Foodarama, El Rio Grande, Savers Cost Plus)
AWG FW (Albertson’s, El Rancho, Minyards), AWG Oklahoma, AWG Kansas City, AWG Goodletsville
Excel (La Michoacana), Productos Bredy, Nogales, El Ahorro
Contact STAR Brokerage President, Ken Holzheauser at 281-496-2032 ext. 210 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about how we can help your business grow.